Joy Reo began her marketing career in 1995, and has been a freelance marketing consultant since 2012. She’s driven marketing campaigns for a wide spectrum of clients, from software companies to “green” building firms, documentary filmmakers and non-profit organizations.
In her spare time Joy enjoys foraging for edible wild mushrooms and plants, and she is a professional jazz vocalist, delighting audiences in respected venues such as the Bull Run Restaurant in Shirley, MA and the Colonial Inn in Concord, MA.
“Joy is a self-directed team player with top-notch marketing skills, dedicated to bringing visibility to her clients and increasing their sales. She is attentive, personable, smart, level-headed, confident, warm, and an absolute delight to work with.” — Susan Edwards, Executive Film Producer and Founder of The Work of 1000 Civic Engagement Program
REO COMMUNICATIONS, Westford, MA 2012 – present
Principal/sole proprietor of my marketing consultancy that provides strategic and tactical marketing services for lead generation and nurturing. Services include marketing automation, copywriting, website project management, lead generation, CRM system management, blogging, social media, and online advertising.
- December 2017 – Present: Communications Consultant for the Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3), a multi-stakeholder collaborative that drives the commercial adoption of green chemistry by catalyzing and guiding action across all industries, sectors and supply chains. I manage website content and design, email communications, media relations, social media, and membership growth/retention.
- October 2016 – October 2017: Marketing Consultant for the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, an academic research organization. Managed implementation of their Salesforce.com and Pardot marketing automation systems, create email campaigns, and train staff in how to leverage the marketing technology.
- August 2016 – March 2018: Blog Writer for Corero Network Security, which specializes in software and hardware solutions to defend against distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
- August 2016 – April 2017: Contract Marketing Manager for DataGravity, a B2B enterprise software company specializing in data management and security. Generated leads for the company, and enhanced its Marketo marketing automation system for lead nurturing and scoring. Built email and landing page templates, and created effective email campaigns.
- December 2015 – July 2016: Marketing Manager for Corero Network Security, a B2B enterprise software and hardware company that specializes in cybersecurity. Wrote blog posts, edited web content for SEO, and managed the company’s Marketo marketing automation system to generate and nurture leads.
- June 2013 – September 2015: Marketing Director for CaseBank Technologies, a B2B enterprise software company headquartered in Toronto, CA. Helped client increase revenue by 33% in two years. Increased leads by 87% in one year. Improved CRM system reporting and field mapping. Oversaw trade show strategy and execution. Spearheaded website revision project. Wrote campaign landing pages, web copy, blog posts, datasheets and white papers. Managed Google AdWords campaigns. Managed social media. Mentored marketing manager.
- September 2014 – May 2015: Co-directed Greenway Heroes: Profiles in Land Conservation, a short documentary film, on behalf of the Work of 1000 Civic Engagement Program.
- June 2013 – September 2014: Marketing Director for Green Energy Money, a Texas-based start-up company that facilitated financing for energy-efficient buildings. Oversaw website content, wrote print collateral, authored blog posts, and composed email newsletters.
- April 2012 – October 2013: Communications Officer for the Work of 1000 Civic Engagement Program, a privately funded educational program for libraries, schools, universities and environmental organizations. Managed social media. Conducted a telesales campaign that secured multiple film screenings and speaking engagements nationwide. Secured media placements on Chronicle TV and New Hampshire Public Radio, the Providence Journal, Lowell Sun, Brattleboro Reformer, Nashua Telegraph and Worcester Telegram.
- July 2012 – September 2012: Marketing Manager for TomTom to guide a government-funded campaign that motivated New York-based truck fleet owners to adopt fuel-saving GPS technology. Wrote press release and email campaigns. Collaborated with internal web designer to build landing pages. Identified and collaborated with outsourced telesales firm to make outbound calls. The two-month program generated 21 qualified leads.
ENIGMA, Burlington, MA 2006–2012
Software manufacturer specializing in the delivery and management of parts and service documentation for complex machinery in the aerospace, agriculture, automotive, aviation, construction, defense, and medical equipment industries.
Director of Marketing
Managed marketing automation system, lead generation, website, telesales, social media, trade shows and advertising. Wrote sales collateral, email campaigns, press releases, blog posts, white papers, web copy, data sheets and case studies. Developed and administered annual marketing budget.
- Enhanced lead tracking by integrating Salesforce.com with marketing automation system.
- Improved advertising ROI by implementing a campaign management system.
- Increased website traffic 16% through search engine optimization, blogging and lead nurturing.
- Boosted call-to-action registrations 49% through redesign of website layout.
- Increased opportunities pipeline 20% in eight months via targeted list-building and inside telesales.
- Built brand awareness by securing product mentions in Mass Transit Magazine, IndustryWeek, Manufacturing Business Technology, Aircraft Commerce Magazine, Air Transport World, and the Boston Globe.
SITESCAPE, Maynard, MA 2001–2006
Software manufacturer that specialized in collaboration and knowledge management applications for government, financial services, healthcare and high technology. Acquired by Novell in 2008.
Director of Marketing / Public Relations Manager
Managed Salesforce.com system, lead generation, website, telesales, social media, trade shows and advertising. Wrote sales collateral, email campaigns, press releases, blog posts, white papers, web copy, data sheets and case studies.
- Promoted to direct all marketing functions. Supervised and mentored two marketing associates.
- Wrote press releases, white papers, web copy, data sheets, case studies and executive presentations.
- Improved marketing ROI by spearheading the implementation of a campaign tracking system.
- Led integration of a marketing automation platform (Eloqua) with Salesforce.com.
- Piloted a website redesign project and the implementation of a new content management system.
- Increased lead flow via pay per click Google ad campaigns.
- Won key media placements in business trade publications such as InfoWorld, Federal Computer Week, Darwin, Internet World, Government Computer News, Information Week, Mass High Tech, Business 2.0, Investor’s Business Daily, and Smart Business.
ZOO NEW ENGLAND, Boston, MA 1997–2000
Private, non-profit corporation that operates Franklin Park Zoo in Boston and Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Massachusetts.
Director of Marketing
Led media relations, community relations, publications, website and advertising programs at Franklin Park Zoo and Stone Zoo. Served as media spokesperson and managed all crisis communications. Developed and coordinated special events. Supervised seven employees.
- Built the public relations and marketing department from the ground up.
- Increased annual attendance at Franklin Park and Stone Zoos by 72%.
- Cultivated 12 front-page stories in local and national media outlets such as the Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Boston Business Journal, Arizona Republic, and Chronicle of Philanthropy; won placements in People Magazine, Fast Company, E! Fashion Emergency, and Inside Edition.
- Coordinated crisis communications regarding fires, animal deaths and animal escapes.
- Launched the “Zoo Teen” year-round jobs program.
EARLY CAREER HISTORY
- Fenway Community Health Center ~ Public Relations and Marketing Associate
- City of Boston Park Rangers ~ Education Supervisor and Mounted Park Ranger
EDUCATION and TRAINING
Bachelor of Arts in English, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa ~ Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
- Former Advisory Board Member, Littleton Community Farm
- Past President, Board of Trustees, Boston Minstrel Company
- Past President, Concord, MA Toastmasters International
Pardot, Marketo, WordPress, Salesforce.com, Sugar CRM, Sales Engine International, iContact, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Microsoft Office Suite